Monday, May 7, 2012

The Reverse-Advice Column

Every time lately that I want to write a blog, I chicken out. Which doesn't make sense, considering like 2 people read my blogs. But I had an idea for a reverse-advice blog, where I ask the questions, and you leave me advice in the comments. All 2 of you. More like I will make an observation and then ask if you agree or disagree, and for your input on the subject. I mean, I have no idea what the fuck is going on half the time, so who am I to give advice?

So, in my recent foray into singledom, I realized that the most important factor in any relationship is chemistry. If you have enough of that, you can work out (almost) anything else. The problem is, how do you find that out, without sleeping with them? Preferably without having any physical contact? Is it something you just feel immediately? Does it take time? Does it inevitably wear off, or is it possible for it to last forever? And how many people in your dating pool do you have that kind of mutual attraction to? I'd just say that Norfolk lately has begun to feel like too small a fishbowl.

I don't know. Going for anything less just seems like settling. Are my expectations too high? My ex told me that a few times, but, well, he had an ulterior agenda... Obviously I don't mean that attraction is the only thing that matters, and I'm currently single, so don't take that I'm calling myself an "expert." But I think it's pretty damn important. And it's not necessarily about looks. I don't know what it's about. Where does "chemistry" come from? Is it all really just about pheromones and hormones? Electrical impulses? The only time I feel like it makes sense is when I'm analyzing it. Of course, it really doesn't make any sense, and I am only deluding myself. But maybe if I delude myself with science...it will distract me from everything I don't know.

I welcome, especially, differing opinions on the subject. What do you think? Are you far more wise than I when it comes to relationships? Have you been happily married for years? What is your secret? In the meantime, I think I might enjoy being single for a while...I'm getting too old to not know who the hell I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment